Every year I eat one of the yummiest home baked Christmas cakes made by a lady in South Delhi. She has been kind enough to share her recipe with us this year. Read on and bake your own Christmas cake this year! Get your kids also involved. Ask them to put the ingredients one by one in the food processor while you churn them. They’ll have a sense of accomplishment once the cake is baked and ready to eat!
- Maida: 250gm
- Sugar: 250gm
- White Butter: 250gm
- Eggs: 6
- Mixed Dry Fruits: Cashews, Walnuts, Deseeded Munakka [cut and soak in rum for
3days if you like]: 250gm
- Vanilla essence: 1 tspn
- Baking powder: 25gm
- Javitri, Jaiphal, Cardamom, Cake jeera and Cinnamon [2gm each] ground together: 1tspn
1. Take 1 tbspn of sugar. Caramelize it by adding 1 tspn water. Cook till it turns brown. Add about 20ml water and let it boil till the consistency is like maple syrup. Keep aside.
2.Use a food processor to beat the
butter and sugar, till the sugar melts.
3. Add eggs and blend.
4. Add maida gradually, one tbspn at a time, while beating it constantly with hand.
5. Add the caramelized sugar and essence.
6. Add 1 tspn of the javitri masala.
7. Stop the processor and add the dry fruits. Mix lightly with a spoon.
8. Grease the baking dish and bake at 200 C till the cake rises. After it rises reduce the temperature to 160 C. Check with a knife after some time. When done, the cake will not stick to the knife as you slide it in and out.
Cool, cut into slices and serve!